Help Uptown Grand Central kick off the start of summer during Make Music New York, a day of pop-up concerts along East 125th Street on Thursday, June 21.
Take pics and tag them @uptowngrandcentral (Instagram), @Nhema125th (Facebook), or @uptown_grand (Twitter). We'll be re-posting you during and after the event! Our favorite posts will win an Uptown Grand Central T-shirt.
There'll be sets at our local small businesses and hotspots by musicians including:
* National Black Theatre: Motown Revue (1:30-4:30 p.m.) and the Stevie Wonder Piano Bar (6-7 p.m.). Bring a chair and sit back to enjoy the best of Motown sounds, then get ready to sing your heart out like Stevie Wonder, karaoke-style -- we'll provide the song sheets, piano player and piano, and you can show us why "You Are the Sunshine of My Life!"
* The Brownstone Boutique: Kolja Gjoni Blues Quartet (6-7 p.m.), featuring tea samples by Serengeti Kitchen.
* Second Avenue Subway Center: Steve Bloom Jazz Trio (6-7 p.m.), featuring wine samples by Uptown Wine Pantry.
* Uptown Grand Central plaza: Aretha Franklin Tribute (4:30-5:30 p.m.), the Drumadics (5:30-6:30 p.m.) & French Horn Mass Appeal (6:30-8 p.m.), featuring sorrel and lemonade samples by Sisters Cuisine. We'll have a small ceremony at 5:30 p.m. to officially welcome summer. Also, if you own a French horn, bring it at 6 p.m. and join the largest gathering of amateur French horn players ever known to have gathered here in Harlem!
* Caribbean Cultural Center: Pete Rodriguez & Orquesta Dulzura (6-7 p.m.), featuring Caribbean juice samples by Uptown Veg.
* Pathmark sidewalk and along East 125th Street: The Marching Cobras drumline and dance team (6-7 p.m.).
* Urban Garden Center: Beat Boi hip-hop (6-9 p.m.).
* Marcus Garvey Park: Jazzmobile (6-9 p.m.).
Thanks to the NYC Department of Small Business Services' Neighborhood 360 program for support of this project.